Zoom Logo

TAG Discussion Session - TAP, Oversight & Review - Speaker view
Amber Williams
16:20
Amber Williams, Councilor at Large
Tod Colegrove
16:54
Tod Colegrove, Nevada Chapter Councilor
Brenda Ealey
19:49
Brenda Ealey, Nebraska Chapter Councilor
Jennifer Boettcher
25:26
membership meeting is like petition the leadership.
Harriet Wintermute
25:50
Regarding what Tara says -- outreach can help - little videos sharing knowledge and tips to post via Twitter and YouTube, etc...
Harriet Wintermute
26:09
But on the other side -- resources needed to produce those
Eileen Palmer
26:23
Tara's right. We don't do much to encourage active participation in membership meetings. Especially during in person meetings where they are scheduled at conflict times.
Alanna Aiko Moore
26:25
+1 Sara, thank you TAG team!
Tara Brady
26:26
I'm on mobile and I can't remember how to put my hand down >.<
Eileen Palmer
28:30
+Pat
Dorcas Hand
28:33
I think we are looking at some serious re-education of the membership that ALA works best when all members participate. That will mean they send ideas/suggestions/critiques to Council often, not waiting until a certain date.
Jennifer Boettcher
28:47
++ Dorcas
Dorcas Hand
29:13
+Pat
Eileen Palmer
31:05
I think we also have to ask ourselves why members do not participate more. I don't think the previous survey, upon which we have based so many conclusions, did not really scratch the surface of trying to get at that question.
Jennifer Boettcher
31:09
Can we harvest septimate analysis from Connect and other listservs?
Aaron W Dobbs
31:28
The main issues are the issues members act around. Is there a groundswell of activity? Figure out how to provide the support the members need.RTs do this. Divisions do this. MIGs do this.More importantly, members (and non-members) self-organize outside formal ALA channels (because it is so much easier now with social media)
Sara Kelly Johns
32:16
I love hearing that, Joan. There is a Youth Council Caucus that meets but there are few Councilors who attend who are not school, youth or children’s councilors. It would be really helpful if others attended. And, yes, it is a good idea if the YCC reported out to others. That is not happening and could.
Pauline Stacchini
32:43
(Hi Kim!)
Dorcas Hand
33:05
+Sara
Sara Kelly Johns
33:31
No contest time for membership meetings as Pat suggested should be considered.
Aaron W Dobbs
33:58
Along with the hot button issues that drive action there are sustained efforts needed at the policy level (federal, state, local).ALA does pretty well on keeping the long-term efforts going (see PP&A / ALA WO).ALA loses ground on the hot button issues and organizationally we need to figure out how to support grassroots efforts around these issues
Eileen Palmer
34:08
I also think that membership meetings, like council meetingsl, are too focused on reporting down to us and not on really surfacing issues people want to talk about.
Jennifer Boettcher
34:28
Member voice should be year round, not just during Council Meetings times.
Christina Rodriques
34:32
Maybe an ALA Connect space that facilitates conversation between current councilors and members?
Sara Kelly Johns
34:40
++Eileen
Aaron W Dobbs
34:49
Governance is not Meaningful Engagement; governance enables meaningful engagement.
Sara Kelly Johns
35:28
Promote membership meetings AND procedures to bring business to Council and ALA
Harriet Wintermute
35:59
Is there a way we can collect feedback anytime? a specific twitter account? a basic online form (discoverable by QC, perhaps) that people can use anytime and is emailed to council as well as ALA governance?
Dorcas Hand
36:29
+Jennifer
Jennifer Boettcher
36:40
I just email the Exec if it's operations question or Pres if it's a current issue in librarianship.
Patricia Schuman
36:57
Yes! And membership meetings need to be at no conflict times.
Aaron W Dobbs
37:18
ALA Membership Community should be the default, imho:https://connect.ala.org/communities/all-ala-groups/ala-members-community
LeRoy LaFleur
37:36
Regarding email, It might be easier to have a single 'contact' address for input that would be distributed among Councilors. There are so many councilors at present it would be hard to pick who to email. I like the Connect space idea!
Dorcas Hand
38:08
When a member expresses a concern to "Council", that concern needs to be "assigned" to a specific Councilor to follow up. In my mind, followup would mean further conversation to really understand the concern or suggestion, and then pushing that understanding to the right channel for further action.
Jennifer Boettcher
38:23
We need to have a way for non-members to reach out.
Sara Kelly Johns
38:25
+Dorcas
Alanna Aiko Moore
38:29
+1 Natalie
Jennifer Boettcher
39:54
What is the goal? member retention, member education, member engagement, council awareness, catching trends, etc...
Kim DeNero-Ackroyd
40:13
I like Dorcas' suggestion. That would also give councilors the opportunity to volunteer to work on the concerns that mean the most to them.
Karen Schneider
40:32
An easy way to make member meetings no-conflict is to hold them outside of conference. Nobody needs to get in a horse and buggy to attend a membership meeting.
Sara Kelly Johns
40:56
Dorcas, could you bring your ideas to the discussion?
Dorcas Hand
40:58
Education of the membership on how to interact with Council could involve a series of really short videos (5 min) pushed out through some specific channel, and then collated on the Council pages for future reference. The channel could be Engage to all the different pages there - I don't think many people really read the All Member posts unless the subject calls their name.
Alanna Aiko Moore
41:12
+1 Karen
Mike Marlin
41:47
The no conflict membership meetings used to go much longer as well, i.e. a 2hour block was set aside with option to extend if necessary. I believe the elimination of No Conflict meetings was dismissed for fiscal motivations, i.e. more conference attendees, more programs, more vendor/exhibit time, etc. Perhaps we can reimagine the idea.
Eileen Palmer
41:48
As a chapter councilor I put in place several mechanisms to encourage my chapter members to communicate concerns to me. I learned though that members reach out when they are motivated by serious concerns and at those times they tended to do so directly and not through the mechanisms I had put in place to encourage discussions. My main take away is that I needed to be visible to them and available when they needed me.
Dorcas Hand
42:38
We're looking for a culture change where whining in private to a friend or three isn't the primary method. Take the whines you discover in random conversation and push them up to Council by some predictable method.
Jennifer Boettcher
42:46
I think Membership Comm has a role
LeRoy LaFleur
43:15
Yes, I was wondering about Membership Committee too!
Christina Rodriques
43:58
I think the Membership Committee is a good idea, they technically are in charge of the membership meetings now.
Jennifer Boettcher
44:19
+Joan, a network of experts
Jennifer Boettcher
44:55
Knowledge Management (KM) calls them Nodes
Pauline Stacchini
45:28
Intake form for members=> posted to ALA Council group's Connect group so multiple councilors can see and use respond function to take it on
LeRoy LaFleur
45:47
+ Joan, we use similar process for our Ask-A-Librarian, where questions are triaged by staff and directed to specific individuals/experts for follow-up
Dorcas Hand
45:58
What about an Office Hours model? A few councilors would arrange to be available on zoom once a month - and I think many different councilors should have the assignment over time. Lots of possible ways to organize this - by division, or by some topical theme, or … This would also contribute to a perception of Council transparency, which has been thought to be lacking.
Harriet Wintermute
47:01
I like that idea Dorcas
Diane Chen
47:23
Hold a virtual membership meeting outside school teaching hours to enable school librarians to attend.
Harriet Wintermute
47:46
Definitely have to accommodate different time zones too
Jennifer Boettcher
47:53
We can have "pages" with our policies with who to contact in ALA or Units who know more and answer questions.
Dorcas Hand
48:03
@Pauline - I think there will need to be some method for assignment. Maybe as easy as I (maybe a small group) will respond to any of those in the week of April 20-27 and others will respond by a schedule. This would be a Councilor responsibility.
Mike Marlin
48:04
+1 Dorcas and Joan. And as a member I'd much prefer to send an email or fill out an online form than navigate Connect Council page.
Jennifer Boettcher
48:07
All questions don't have to be answered by Council
Eileen Palmer
48:07
The other thing I've learned as a chapter councilor is that it is more important HOW we respond when members have concerns. Hearing their concerns is important but the real measure of their satisfaction and potential future engagement is the action we take. What can we put in place to assure members concerns are actually responded to in a way that is respectful of those concerns.
Dorcas Hand
48:32
Yes, Mike Marlin
Dorcas Hand
49:50
Yes, Jennifer. But if the contact thinks we should answer, we should reply to connect them to the right person. Just like our legislators. Imperfectly efficient, but important.
Tara Brady
50:20
I love this chat bot idea.
Andrea Lapsley
50:37
How about an article in American Libraries about Council processes, procedures, how to bring an issue forward? Not everyone is going to search ALA's website to find councilors, etc.
Jennifer Boettcher
50:40
@Dorcas Depends on the purpose of the contact, for information or action.
Pauline Stacchini
50:41
Could we embed a temperature taking survey for all members to take as they renew their membership?
Jennifer Boettcher
50:52
+++Brenda
Dorcas Hand
51:44
Good idea, Pauline
Karen Schneider
51:46
Here is the charge to the Policy Monitoring Committee: https://www.ala.org/aboutala/committees/ala/ala-polmonit
Pauline Stacchini
52:14
I think the issue is partially "members need to know more about how ALA works" and the other part is recognizing that members pay membership then are expected to learn everything about ALA and how it works to try to find a councilor they might know that they could reach out to... it's too hard!
Jennifer Boettcher
52:21
🏆 Yes Brenda
Harriet Wintermute
52:23
+! Andrea - I feel these things need occasional refreshers
Karen Schneider
52:34
Its primary role is to ensure new policy is correctly integrated into the existing policy manual.
Alanna Aiko Moore
52:40
+1 Pauline
Harriet Wintermute
52:52
- even for members with several years or longer experience
Jennifer Boettcher
53:54
Right Nick
Kim DeNero-Ackroyd
53:59
+1 Pauline & Harriet
Sara Kelly Johns
54:33
++Pauline
Jennifer Boettcher
56:57
We can a form on the landing page: "how do I...." or "where can I find more about...."
Sara Kelly Johns
57:13
Yes. Jennifer!
Diane Chen
57:41
At ALA Annual, the Youth Council Caucus will meet on Sunday from 1-2pm EDT
Harriet Wintermute
58:33
Aren't council meetings open for the most part? (Sorry the transcription was a bit garbled so I may have misunderstood something.)
Pauline Stacchini
59:06
Lowering barriers for members to get a voice is important enough that I think we should fund initiatives to do it: perhaps that means creating another position at ALA, funding "networking-style" events at LLX or Annual with refreshments that invite members to participate in unintimidating environments
Nick Tepe
59:30
+1 Pauline
Ann Symons
59:55
I believe our discussion should be on the floor of Council and I’d like to see Council Forum gp awauy
Eileen Palmer
01:00:29
+Ann
Karen Schneider
01:00:32
+1 Ann
Brenda Pruitt-Annisette
01:01:06
Maybe the ‘charge’ identified for the policy monitoring committee could be revised to encourage members to get involved as ‘change agents’ and not just act as a rubber stamp for the status quo. Just my personal thoughts.
Eileen Palmer
01:01:34
Ann, but in order to have full discussions we need to spend less time being talked to and more time talking to each other
Diane Chen
01:01:47
+Eileen
Tara Brady
01:03:23
whether we move on now or not please do schedule a full meeting for oversight, there's a lot to discuss
Eileen Palmer
01:03:34
+Tara
Nick Tepe
01:03:42
Agreed Tara
Maggie Farrell
01:04:06
I so appreciate your service on Council Jennifer.
Pauline Stacchini
01:05:01
Idea for survey to be embedded at ALA membership renewal: how knowledgeable do you feel about how ALA works? How do you prefer to engage with ALA? How would you want to be informed of ALA governance topics?
Jennifer Boettcher
01:05:28
Yes, reschedule for Org
Al Kagan, SRRT
01:06:09
If folks are serious about reaching out to the membership, put forward a resolution in DC that membership meetings should be in a no conflict time and publicize it.
Diane Chen
01:06:23
https://www.ala.org/aasl/about/townhall
Diane Chen
01:06:37
AASL holds monthly town halls. Please check out the topics and sign up.
Mike Marlin
01:06:47
Restructuring the Council agenda for more conversation and less process seems parallel to more TAP.
Nick Tepe
01:06:58
One thought I had related to ORB is that it could be integrated with TAP… So ORB receives the TAP info and uses it to evaluate the effectiveness of governance.
Jennifer Boettcher
01:07:10
townhall and petition gives people a platform
Dorcas Hand
01:07:28
Town Halls are great - doesn't ALA have similar? But they often have themes for practical content rather than a focus on ALA work.
Kathy Carroll
01:08:37
I’ve love the rich conversation and look forward to our next TAG meeting to discuss these contributions.
Ray James
01:08:59
Nick ++++
Patricia Schuman
01:09:19
Eileen++
Karen Schneider
01:09:29
Thank you Amy and TAG, on to the next meeting!
Dorcas Hand
01:09:47
Yes, Eileen. And that response needs to somehow be personal. One person reaching back with the process of how the request will move forward.
Gail Tobin
01:09:50
+Eileen
sara dallas
01:09:59
Sincere thanks to Amy, the tag team and the ALA staff for all of their work on this project
Maggie Farrell
01:10:22
Thank you TAG team - great work and productive discussions!
LeRoy LaFleur
01:10:27
+1 Eileen, that's a good connection to ORB and Nick's comments about using ORB to review the TAP process
Brenda Pruitt-Annisette
01:10:32
Just curious to know how many ‘members’ actually completed a survey that indicated Council was not effective?
Nick Tepe
01:11:04
I have to go, thanks TAG and everyone for the discussion!
Ana Elisa de Campos Salles
01:11:35
Thank you, All!
Edward Sanchez
01:11:37
Thanks for another great meeting!
Harriet Wintermute
01:11:53
Thank you TAG
Sara Kelly Johns
01:11:53
Good discussion today! Thanks!
Sara Westall
01:12:02
Thank you!
Dorcas Hand
01:12:10
Thanks, everyone - especially TAG!!1
Tod Colegrove
01:12:16
Much appreciated - thanks team!!
Jennifer Boettcher
01:12:20
thank you🤜🤛
Andrea Lapsley
01:12:31
greta jpb
Kaite Stover
01:12:39
Bye all!
LeRoy LaFleur
01:12:41
thanks!